Together We Can Make a Difference! Investing time and resources in our youth today will ensure that Milford continues to be a highly regarded community where its children thrive and become successful adults. People move to and take pride in Milford because of its reputation. The kinds of choices our teens make are a critical part of that reputation. Across the country, it has been proven that community coalitions work–so does investing in MPC.
- The mission of the Milford Prevention Council is to reduce underage drinking and substance abuse through prevention education, the support of law enforcement and the strengthening of our community collaboration.
Since 2009, Milford Prevention Council (MPC) has worked to educate children and families about the risks of substance abuse. The results? A 64% decrease in alcohol use among 7th, 9th and 11th graders. A 33% decrease in cigarette use. And among high school students, 30-day use rates for alcohol and marijuana are 24% and 16% below the state averages, respectively.**
MPC creates programs to match the many needs in our community. An education program provided training to more than 100 employees of businesses that sell alcohol for off- and on-premises consumption. Freshman Forums at the high schools provided mandated education on the legal, social and health risks of drinking and drug use to more than 1,800 students and parents. Senior University Forums provided more than 1,000 high school seniors with guidance on transitioning to college and risks of binge drinking, marijuana use, and more. Our annual Drug Take Back initiative collected more than 1,700 pounds of medications for safe disposal – yes, 1,700 POUNDS!
MPC also sponsors programs in the schools on bullying and substance abuse; created an annual Superhero Fun Run with the Woodruff YMCA to provide education on healthy lifestyles; print education materials for children and parents; attends dozens of community events to raise awareness; and much more. As passionate Milford residents, we see the positive impacts. Our programs are working; we hear it from children and parents.
With recent cutbacks in state funding, how will our community continue to benefit if we can’t keep these programs going?
Though our education is provided at no cost to our community, there are costs to create them. We need your help to continue our substance abuse prevention programs for children and parents. Your generosity will help make our programs a sustainable benefit for Milford and the surrounding area. Make a secure, tax-deductible donation!
Through your donation, MPC can:
- Your gift of $1,000 allows MPC to conduct a fundraising campaign in an effort to make up the cuts that were made in our annual budget and provide programs that our community needs.
- Your gift of $500 aids MPC to fund our annual Superhero Fun Run, which educates hundreds of children and families in our community. Sponsor a billboard to increase public awareness of substance abuse and its harmful effects aids
- Your gift of $250 helps MPC by fully funding our Training for Intervention Procedures (TIPS) merchant education program, which is held four times each year for local businesses.
- A gift of $100 helps MPC host many events during the year. Would you be interested in sponsoring refreshments, providing printing services for materials for our high school education forums or acquire educational items for our events such as drunk-driving simulation goggles.
- LEAVE A LEGACY – Donate in memory or honor of a loved one, co-worker or someone who has inspired you.
Milford Prevention Council will work with you to give proper recognition of your donation. For further information, contact MPC at (203)783-6676.
We know our education is effective. Help us ensure that our children have proven programs that help them understand the risks and avoid the perils of substance abuse. Contact us today to get involved and support our organization. Thank you on behalf of our staff and the children and families we serve.
Wendy Gibbons, LCSW Raymond G. Vitali
Program Director Chairman
(203) 783-6676 email@example.com
The Milford Prevention Council is a 501(c)(3) organization. EIN: 46-3157322.
No goods or services were provided by the Milford Prevention Council in exchange for this contribution
** Milford Prevention Council bi- annual survey data, 2009-2013
Cash gifts are the simplest way to support Milford Prevention Council. They can be used immediately for whatever purpose the donor or agency decides. Checks should be made payable to: Milford Prevention Council, 70 W. River Street, Milford, CT 06461
Or feel free to contact the Milford Prevention Council office at 203-783-6676
DID YOU KNOW?
Every dollar invested in research-based prevention programs can save $10 in treatment costs!